Tennessee is a state that is very strict when it comes to licensed contractors. All general contractors in Tennessee must have a valid license from the Board of Contractors. This is the only way to work on construction projects in the state legally. You can run your business and find work more easily if you have a license. Bidding on projects also becomes easier since most clients will only consider working with licensed contractors. The BC-A license is the contractor’s highest license level in Tennessee.
Classifications of Residential Contractor License Tennessee
Tennessee has three types of contractor licenses: Class A, Class B, and Class C. Class A contractors are allowed to work on projects valued at $200,000 or more. Class B contractors can work on projects valued between $25,000 and $200,000. Class C contractors are only allowed to work on projects valued at $25,000 or less.
The Process of Getting Your Contractors License
If you want to work on larger projects, you will need this license. The process of getting a BC-A license is not difficult, but it does take some time.
Here is what you need to do:
- Make sure you meet the requirements for a BC-A license. You must have at least four years of experience as a general contractor. Two of these years must be in a supervisory role. You will also need to pass an examination.
- Submit your application to the Board of Contractors. You can find the application online. Make sure that you attach all of the required documentation.
- Pay the application fee. The fee for a BC-A license is $300. This fee is non-refundable.
- Wait for your license to be processed. The Board of Contractors will review your application and decide whether or not you are eligible for a license. If you are approved, you will receive your license in the mail.
- Renew your license every two years. You will need to submit a renewal application and pay a renewal fee of $300.
Exam Testing for Your Contractors License
You must pass an examination before becoming licensed as a general contractor in Tennessee. RocketCert offers an online course that will help you prepare for the examination. The course costs $299 and includes access to practice exams, study materials, and customer support.
Once you have completed the course, you will need to register for the examination with the Board of Contractors. The examination costs $200. It is offered twice per year, in the spring and fall.
You will have four hours to complete the examination. It is comprised of 100 multiple-choice questions. The passing score is 70%.
If you do not pass the examination, you can retake it after six months. There is no limit to the number of times you can retake the examination.
Once you have your BC-A license, you can start bidding on larger projects in Tennessee. This will help you to grow your business and make more money. Remember that the requirements for a BC-A license differ from those for a lower-level license. Make sure you understand all of the requirements before you apply. This will help to ensure that you are eligible for a license.